Thursday, May 4, 2017

NN #2 - Rolling Grizzlies

Rolling Grizzlies 

Last week I had the opportunity to sit in on and watch a Rolling Grizzlies practice and scrimmage. The Rolling Grizzlies are a wheelchair basketball team that competes locally and nationally with other wheelchair basketball teams. When thinking of a wheelchair based sport, I automatically think of people with disabilities or injuries. (This is very stereotypical of me and I realize that now). The unique thing about this team, and other teams around the world, is that they don't restrict membership to just people who have a disability or injury. Anyone can participate and I think that is a wonderful learning opportunity for those who want join and get to know the sport from a different perspective. 

Another thing I found interesting is that each member of the team had their own story, very few of them being the same. For example, one member played basketball in college and had the potential to play at a professional level until a tragic shooting happened, leaving him with a spinal cord injury. After hearing his story, I found myself focussing on him for the rest of my time there. I couldn't help but to feel sympathy toward him and think about how sad he must have been the day he found out his basketball career was over. At that moment a little light bulb went off on the top of my head. I quickly realized the connection between my future career and what I was doing there that night. My job as an OT would to be to never let that dream die for that particular player. My goal would be to get him back doing what he loves. Now I don't know his therapy background but I do know whoever he encountered had to be a special person because this player obviously did not let his injury define him. He played his heart out and did it with a smile. Need I remind you that this wasn't even a real game, it was simply a scrimmage against his other teammates. 

I chose to go to this event because I am so intrigued by spinal cord injury and was earlier influenced by one of our guest speakers. There were several lessons learned that night and a many new experiences gained. I am grateful for the opportunity I had and glad I gave it a chance. Not only has my view of wheelchair based sports changed, but it gave me so much respect for those who participate in them. Just from watching I could feel the energy in the room and see how difficult it was and how much concentration goes into the game. If I had to say, I would bet it is way harder than on foot. If anyone has never watched a wheelchair based sport, I highly recommend it because it might just blow your mind.  

Some contact information:
Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Memphis-Rolling-Grizzlies-129140780501102/
National Wheelchair Basketball Association:
(For Memphis) - http://www.nwba.org/page/show/2023830-mem-rollin-grizzlies
(In general) - http://www.nwba.org

No comments:

Post a Comment