Sunday, May 14, 2017

FOCP Reflection

Foundations of Occupation Centered Practice has introduced me to the concepts and skills needed to further my career as an occupational therapist. It has helped me learn the background of the profession and who is responsible for the popularity and greatness of what we know as occupational therapy. Compared to other courses, I feel as if this one was greatly beneficial to my knowledge on the profession as a whole and what I need to do as a practitioner to keep my knowledge at its peak. Because both historical and present perspectives were directed toward us, we now know how far the profession has come over the last 100 years and how quickly things can change over time. This lets us know as future practitioners that we are responsible for the future of OT, we are the caretakers, and we can make huge differences over the next 100 years. One of my biggest goals coming into graduate school was to work on my communication skills and behaviors with clients. They have never been bad but I wanted to "perfect" them and make them more efficient especially in a clinical situation. FOCP has helped established a base and some foundation to my so-called "communication house". Because of this course I know how to effectively deliver an elevator-speech about the profession along with knowing how to advocate for and demonstrate what occupational therapy is and its values. I now know the importance of this class and what its relationship to our other curriculum is. FOCP was a well administered and a beneficial class to start my first term off with as a occupational therapy student.

No comments:

Post a Comment